In simpler terms, a real-time feature means sharing information across the device by keeping the users connected at the same time. Real-time attributes provide a live scenario of any transaction without making the user wait for long. Hence, it gives fast-tracking of any order by giving instant updates.
Talking about mobile applications, featuring real-time attributes is more of a necessity than a mere option. In recent years, this technology has made a significant mark in the development of web apps as well as mobile apps by providing reliable, quick, and convenient communication.
There are ample benefits to users and businesses by incorporating real-time features in the apps, such as:
- People can now get connected with other users in a more natural way. For instance, they can follow friends, share their live location, and chat online.
- While offering real-time features to the users, the developers are relieved from the maintenance costs and other expenses due to the availability of the cloud delivery networks.
- Such features also enhance powerful user engagement by replicating real-world practices. For example, users can perform multiple tasks at the same time like chatting and making an appointment.
- The developers can give emphasis to the core competencies of the application by upgrading unique features of the inbuilt app, user interface, engaging user experience, etc.
- With a massive growth in the frequency of IoT devices, it is quite likely that real-time attributes will give full control over the apps.
- Users are now impatient. Thanks to this feature, they can chat and get a swift solution to their queries.
- The travel apps are making the most of this feature by updating the users about the travel dates and booking status.
- With the rise in online shoppers, real-time updates help them in keeping track of their orders.
Let us discuss in detail the significance of real-time features in making a mobile application successful.
1. PUSH NOTIFICATIONS
Push notifications are basically automated messages send to the user when the mobile application is not in use. They built a sense of urgency among the users. When you want to attract users to the app with a single click, then featuring push notifications in mobile apps can only make it possible.
As per a study by Localytics, around 21% of users discard the app after one use. Here comes the role of push notifications, which ensures the return of users by giving them engaging and curious alerts of their interest, on a frequent basis. However, only an optimal frequency of notifications can make it happen.
To illustrate, push notifications are used to inform about important events, Tinder notifies its users when they are liked and messaged by someone, Uber gives alerts to users about the arrival of driver, Flight booking apps lure users with the best hotel booking deals notifications, etc.
2. LIVE STATUS OF ORDER
This live tracking feature of order status gives an extra edge to different industries dealing in on-demand delivery, shipping, food delivery, etc using GPS. This facilitates users to be updated with the live status of their order placed. In a survey by MyCustomer, approximately 82% of the consumers prefer that their retailer communicates at every stage proactively.
Live order status in an app increases consumer trust and satisfaction as it gives them a convenient mode to keep track of orders, whether it is a phone call, SMS, or eMail. Companies purposely introduce live order status feature to maintain transparency of the business.
This serves a two-way purpose, the delivery crew can navigate the location and the user can check the route of the order pickup & delivery with Maps.
3. REAL-TIME MESSAGING
People now prefer instant messaging and chatting features in mobile apps to communicate. The developers are now keen to build interactive messengers that allow users to share all sorts of documents and files. Moreover, they can indulge in video calls, voice calls, share emoticons, multiple group chats, and much more.
Though real-time messaging plays an important role in all types of industries. But here, let us talk about real-time messaging app in the Healthcare industry.
Communication is a bigger constituent in improving the services of the healthcare industry. A report by the Joint Commission, legal authority for granting medical certifications & accreditations, states that 80% of the severe medical errors happen due to miscommunication among the caretakers during the patient admission process.
With real-time messaging in healthcare mobile applications, there are below benefits:
- Medical reports can be shared securely and instantly with the respective authority.
- The nurse can be allocated with real-time messaging on medical apps.
- There can be direct communication between the patient and physician.
4. LIVE STREAMING
Live streaming refers to the transmission of live coverage of an event happening through audio and video across the internet. With this term, we get reminded of the popular live streaming feature by Facebook and Instagram. This is utilized in several industries such as media, entertainment, logistics, etc.
This feature brings a sense of belonging to the virtual world. Because users can share their video content with hundreds and thousands of people instantly. This attributed is majorly seen in social media apps.
With this feature itself, many social influencers have come into the limelight. It is a piece of cake now to promote your products and services, by just uploading the video content of it and broadcasting it to the audience.
Also, in Real-estate and trading apps, live streaming has left its mark. Now, the trading industry can update the charts in real-time before the stocks are closed. They can not only attract multiple users on live videos but also can answer their project-related queries.
5. MULTI-USER COLLABORATION
This application software allows access to multiple users of a system. When you merge real-time features on the apps, the users working on one project are enabled to update, delete, add, or edit data at the same time. This facilitates in making the task easier for the team members.
The users can give their feedback immediately, related to the project. To illustrate, Google Docs Apps is a distinctive real-time software. Users from multiple locations can collaborate and edit the project. This is the reason Google Slides and Google spreadsheets have gained popularity.
In today’s time, many industry segments are dependent upon the real-time features running in their mobile applications. Industries like, eCommerce, Health & Fitness, Cab Booking, Travel & Tourism, Hotel Booking, Shipping, etc. are some of the most common sectors taking full use of this feature.